Tuesday, September 8, 2009

FaMilY

Lately I have been thinking about Hunny's family. I have known them for 13 years now.

We used to get together ALL the time. Every holiday there would be a family picnic. You just knew that's what you were doing on that holiday.

How I would look forward to going.


You see, when I was growing up, I lived a long way from any extended family. I would only get to see 2 of my cousins at Thanksgiving. So I knew of them, but I didn't really KNOW them. I have a couple other cousins, but I have only met them MAYBE twice.

I also have no cousins my age. So when I did get to see my cousins, they wanted to hang out with my sisters who were their age.

In fact, I knew of 1 of my cousins and saw him on facebook and he didn't even know who I was. I had to explain to him how I was related to him.

That really makes me sad. I have this family that I have no idea who they are or HOW they are. I would love to spend time with them, you know, just hang out.

But since my family isn't like that, I think that God blessed me with Hunny's family. Who has more cousins then anyone can really count. Their ages range from almost 40 to 8. So you know you always have someone to talk to!! :)

So needless to say, I was so excited with all the family gatherings and closeness of Hunny's family.

It seems in the past recent years, that there hasn't been as many gatherings. And it honestly makes me sad. The 4th of July, and Labor Day, came and went with no picnic. We spent the days at home.

As you probably have figured out, I am an avid picture taker. :) I was looking through my photo albums thinking back to those picnics. What fun times we had. Board games, walks, bike rides, bonfires, trips to the creek.....and the food. Oh the food at our gatherings. I think some of the best cooks are in this family!!!




I want my kids to grow up with these same great memories that I have had these past years.







I look up to Hunny's Aunts and Uncles. They aren't just Hunny's family. They are MY family. MY aunts and uncles.



I can't tell you how many things I have learned.....sitting around a living room, or in a circle of lawn chairs at the farm. They have all influenced me in some way. And I am so grateful to know each and everyone of them.



I say all this just to say that I miss those family gatherings and am counting down the days till the next one.


~~~~~ Edit ~~~~~~

In reading over this, I just wanted to add that I have 1 cousin who I do talk to occasionally and an aunt who I love very much. Whenever she is in town, I look forward to seeing her and spending some time with her. :)

1 comment:

Cindy Swanson said...

That's so sweet, Julie! I really miss the family get-togethers too, because I don't have any extended family here at all. Everyone is so busy, I guess. :(

Love ya!