Thursday, March 26, 2009

A GoOdLy HeRitaGe

You never really understand what your parents have done for you until you become a parent yourself. My parents have made sure that we know and love God.

I can remember both of my parents spending hours in prayer over each of us kids. My Dad would be up in the early hours of the morning in his old green chair with his BiBle open on his lap. I always thought he was sleeping. One morning I asked him why he slept with his BiBle and he laughed and told me that he was praying. I can remember my mom spending time with God in the afternoon....while we were supposed to be taking a nap!! :) I would wonder how anyone could spend so much time reading the BIBLE. But now that I enjoy reading it, I can understand how someone could spend so much time reading it, and hearing from God.

Deuteronomy 6:4-9

6:4 Hear, O Israel: The LORD our God is one LORD:

6:5 And thou shalt love the LORD thy God with all thine heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy might.

6:6 And these words, which I command thee this day, shall be in thine heart:

6:7 And thou shalt teach them diligently unto thy children, and shalt talk of them when thou sittest in thine house, and when thou walkest by the way, and when thou liest down, and when thou risest up.


6:8 And thou shalt bind them for a sign upon thine hand, and they shall be as frontlets between thine eyes.

6:9 And thou shalt write them upon the posts of thy house, and on thy gates.


Psalm 61: 5b thou hast given me the heritage of those that fear thy name.


Proverbs 1:8 My son, hear the instruction of thy father, and forsake not the law of thy mother.

My desire is to give my children the same heritage. I want them to know that following God, and searching after him is the only way to find true happiness and JOY.

Psalm 16:11 Thou wilt shew me the path of life: in thy presence is fulness of joy; at thy right hand there are pleasures forevermore.

3 comments:

Sarah Hopf said...

Boy, your Dad looks just how I remember him.

a joyful nusiance said...

I don't think he has aged that much! His hair is a little grayer but he still looks great!!

Dayna Greeson said...

Our parents grow more precious and wonderful as we "grow up"... At least that's what I've learned. They become your rock and your best friends- funny how time matures us. I can remember "Knowing it all" and thinking the parentals didn't know squat-
BTW- your parents look more beautiful and soo in love- I miss them.. and their smiling faces.