The kids had such a great time playing their games. There wasn't one ounce of fighting or whining or bickering or anything. I thought for sure that when the tokens ran out there would be whining for more. But no, the kids were just having to much fun!
After the kids got their prizes, we got ourselves all packed up and headed for the door. Isaac had forgotten to get his prizes so we stood in line for about 10 more min waiting for him to get his prize, and then we headed out the door!
I was driving. I turned onto Fairview and then onto Rural. And that's when it happened. Out of nowhere all of a sudden it felt like we were spinning. I hear Hunny screaming what is going on....what is happening. Those seconds felt like an eternity of spinning and shaking and twisting. The kids were screaming. Screaming and crying.
I couldn't move. I knew we had been hit, but I didn't know anything else. I knew that I couldn't be hurt cuz I had these kids to take care of. I ignored any pain that I had and turned around and got my phone and dialed 911. I started screaming at a lady. The lady who had gotten out of the truck that hit us. The lights were on in the van, and then I see Zach. He is slumped over in his seat. He looks like he is dead. The window is broken so I sort of climb in the back of the van. I notice that he is sitting right above the gas tank and I am afrain the van is going to blow up. Hunny and I try to move him to get him out. But he is so heavy and there are so many pieces of the van on top of him, we can't move him. He is just slumped over, with only the seat belt holding him up. For a split second I think he is dead, but then finally, I see him take a breath. Then the firetrucks are there. I remember them pulling pieces of the van out to try and get to him.
Then I turn my attention to the other kids. Isaac is screaming. I hug him and hold him. He is cold. I get his coat. I see the van. There are pieces laying everywhere. Mikayla only has 1 shoe on, it's raining, I tell her it will be ok. Hunny is carrying Dada, he keeps asking me what happened, where were we going, what were we doing, were we going home? What's going on.
I call my mom. I tell her she needs to meet us at the hospital. There has been an accident, Zach is hurt. I need her to watch the kids. She heads to 1 hopsital.
I call Beth. Lord, how do I make this call. How do I tell my best friend that her child has been in an accident, that he is hurt, and he is unconscious on his way to the hospital. Lord, help me, I can't do this. Give me the words. I tell Beth she needs to come. They are 4 hours away.
The police need to know if he is allergic to anything, how old he is, when is his bday. For the life of me I cant remember anything. I want to go with Zach, be with him so he isn't scared. He needs a mommy right now. But what do I do with the other kids? There is something wrong with Hunny. He keeps asking me the same questions. He isn't right. He is still carrying Dada. She is complaining that her leg hurts. He carries her, asking me the same questions. What happened, what were we doing. Where were we going. The police call him an ambulance. Isaac and Dada go with him.
Isaac. What a man in a boys body. He told the police what they needed to know about his family. He is now in control. He is needed, and he responded with maturity.
I am sitting in the squad car with the Kayla and Brother. They are crying, cold, and scared. I am shaking, hurting. Brother falls asleep. I am thinking dont go to sleep.
I see Joe. A policeman I know. A friendly face in this neverending nightmare. I want to hug him. I know he will take care of us. I start crying. But I can't cry. I am on the phone with Beth. I cant let her know how scared I am. I can't let her know how bad I think it is. I have to be strong for her. She needs me to be strong. She is scared and crying. I can't cry, stop crying. I can't fall apart. She needs me. I answer her questions. They are on their way. 4 hours.
I am shaking. My neck hurts so bad. I can barely move. I need to go to the hopsital.
How do I tell Gail and DeWayne. I can only imagine how they will feel. They have already lost 1 child. How do I tell them that we have been in a terrible accident and Hunny is on his way to the hopsital. He can't remember anything. I call them. No answer. Call back. Where are they? They never go anywhere. It's 8:30. They can't be in bed. I call Jeff. They are at church. I can't tell them at church. I tell Jeff to wait till they get home. How is Hunny? Is he ok? He has to be ok. I am worried about his brain. He had brain surgery before. Will he be ok? I need his parents. They know his history.
I ask for Joe, he is dealing with the other driver.
I finally find out that they are moving Zach to RMH. He isnt well. The police start taping off the intersection. I start to panic. Oh my, Zach. They are taping it off b/c he isn't doing well. How will we get through this? I feel walls closing in around me. Precious little Zach. No. He can't die. He isn't. I won't accept it.
They get me an ambulance. I hurt so much. Brother, and Kayla go with me. The paramedic. He is so nice. He is gentle and kind. I am cold and shaking. How are the kids? Are they ok. How did this happen.
We get to the hospital. RMH. Everyone is here. Hows Hunny? Is he ok. Can I breath yet? I see my mom. I hear DeWayne. He comes and touches my hand. He needs to see Hunny. He goes. My mom holds my hand she won't let go.
People everywhere. People who love us. Can I breath yet? Can I collapse? No. There is something wrong with Dada. She is going in for xrays. Her leg hurts. She is bruised. Who will be with her? Gail. Gail is with her. Good.
Tancy. She is here. She hugs me. Holds my hand. She will help. She will find out how Hunny and Brother are.
Brother where is he? He is with Hunny. How is Hunny? He has a concussion, can't remember what happened. Keeps asking the same questions.
Dada has a broken pelvis. She needs a cat skan to see what else is wrong. There may be something wrong with her bladder. More tests.
I get xrays. I am fine. Bad whiplash. And am really sore where the seatbelt locked up. I need to see Hunny. He looks fine. He is acting goofy. Isn't like him.
I see Austin. He was a broken thumb. He seems ok. Shaken up. But ok. Kayla is with him. She is bruised.
The docs check everyone out. Brother has bruising but nothing else. Zach. How is Zach? He is intubated and on a ventilator. How is Beth? She still isn't here.
What can I do? Where should I be? I need to be with Dada and Hunny.
They are going to be admit Dada for observation. They will discharge Hunny. He is going home with his parents. He can't be alone. I am staying with Dada.
5 comments:
Oh, Julie! I am reading this and just crying. The thoughts and feelings you must have been experiencing! After reading this, I feel like I was right there with see, seeing everything.
I praise the Lord for the super-human strength He gave you - physically, emotionally, mentally, spiritually - through all of this.
And, as a member of Beth's family, I thank you for all you did (and continue to do)for the Molanders. We are in prayer for them and for your precious family as everyone recovers.
Julie, great job writing this account. You captured the fear and the urgency of the situation beautifully. Like Ann-Marie, my heart goes out to you...you really had to be the strong one in that whole scenario. Love you, Julie! You're in my prayers.
Julie! You are a strong woman with a tender heart. I know I have said it before, but you are still in our prayers!!!
Julie,
Thank you for that account and for holding it all together in that moment. And I just want to say thank you SO much for putting each and every child's seatbelt on that night you left chuck e. cheese. The outcome could have been very different if you hadn't. You, Jeremy, Maddie and Nathan are still in my prayers as you will have your own mountain to climb. Much love from your best bud's sis.
I just had to add like many others, Julie that I think the way you described what you and your family and friends went thru that night made what everyone imagined come to life. You memory seems to be perfect of what happened- something I'm sure you will never be able to forget. But I too like others sat there and sobbed as I read b/c I felt like it was pretty close if not exactly how I imagined you experienced it. I am happy things are looking up!
Keep sharing, you are an inspiration.
Post a Comment